Category archive

Heart Attack

Yogurt Can Reduce Cardiovascular Risk

  Higher intakes of yogurt were associated with a 30 percent reduction in risk of myocardial infarction. Science Daily –February 15, 2018– Eating yogurt may reduce cardiovascular disease risk A new study in the American Journal of Hypertension, published by Oxford University Press, suggests that higher yogurt intake is associated with lower cardiovascular disease risk among hypertensive men and women. High blood pressure is a major cardiovascular disease risk factor. Clinical trials have previously demonstrated beneficial effects of dairy consumption…

Keep Reading

Increase in Average Heart Rate Increases Cardiovascular Risk

For each 5-beat-per minute increase in heart rate from the preceding office visit, the risk increased 12% for all-cause mortality, 13% for incident heart failure, 9% for MI, and 6% for stroke.   Medscape -Patrice Wendling- –January 30, 2018 Even Small Heart Rate Increases Confer Added Risk Relatively small changes in heart rate over time, even within the normal range, are associated with a higher risk for adverse CV and non-CV outcomes in the general population, a new study shows.…

Keep Reading

What Should I Know After a Heart Attack

Do not assume that what you’ve been told is all you need to know.   Society for Participatory Medicine David Lee Scher, M.D   Five Things to Know After Your Heart Attack These five points are important because they address the seriousness of a heart attack. Feeling better after a heart attack is an experience all are grateful for. However, the journey as a cardiac patient is just beginning and knowledge is a powerful tool to have. An engaged and…

Keep Reading

Heart Healthy Habits of Physicians

  Reader’s Digest Charlotte Hilton Andersen   45 Things Doctors Do to Protect Their Own Hearts Doctor Parker’s Commentary As I was researching “heart healthy habits,” I came across this article from Reader’s Digest.  To my surprise, I found it quite interesting — perhaps both because it was fairly simple and straightforward, and because it was along the lines of “Physician Heal Thyself.” Note that in the extroverted culture of America, the main focus for heart health issues is external. …

Keep Reading

Should You Take a Statin if You are over 75?

  Shared  physician and patient decision-making should occur irrespective of age when a statin is prescribed. The Skeptical Cardiologist –January 27, 2018– Should You Take a Statin if You Are over 75?: The Value of Derisking in the Elderly  The New York Times published an article earlier this month with the provocative title “You’re Over 75, and You’re Healthy. Why Are You Taking a Statin?” It’s actually a balanced presentation of this difficult question (although it includes the seemingly obligatory anecdote of…

Keep Reading

Genes, Coffee and Increased Heart Attack Risk

  For carriers of the slow *1F allele, those who drank 2 to 3 cups of coffee a day had a 36 percent increased odds of heart attack; those who drank 4 or more cups per day had a 64 percent increased odds of heart attack.   Science Daily –March 6, 2008– Coffee Consumption Linked To Increased Heart Attack Risk For Persons With Certain Gene Variation IndIividuals who have a genetic variation associated with slower caffeine metabolism appear to have…

Keep Reading

1 2 3 5
Go to Top